Wilson has had diarrhea since Tuesday so you can imagine how sore his baby bottom is. When we lived in Ogden, our pediatrician, Dr. Barhorst, used to prescribe 'triple creme.' Only two pharmacies in town made it and it was her special blend of three medicines to treat diaper rash.
I have seen triple paste at Walgreen's and wondered if it was the same blend. So I called Walgreen's in Vernal yesterday and asked the pharmacist to check it out for me. No dice, it is just zinc oxide like Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Balmex and others.
But, the pharmacist had heard of triple creme and he knew what was in it! He told me all the items are available in OTC strengths.
A&D Ointment*Bacitracin Ointment*Clotrimazole
A&D Ointment - creates a barrier on the skin to help prevent the stomach acid in the diahrrea from burning the skin.
Bacitracin Ointment - (Store brand is the same as brand name) this is an antibiotic ointment. Triple antibiotic ointment, Neosporin, can be used also. But it may be too potent for baby's skin. The pharmicst recommended starting with the Bacitracin.
Clotrimazole - this is an anti-fungal creme. It can be found in the athlete's foot section. Again, store brand is way cheaper and just as good.
I tried this concoction on Wilson last night just before I put him to bed. This morning when he woke, his bum looks about 100% better than it did last night! Amazing. I am not providing photographic proof, sorry. You will just have to take my word for it.
Bacitracin Ointment - (Store brand is the same as brand name) this is an antibiotic ointment. Triple antibiotic ointment, Neosporin, can be used also. But it may be too potent for baby's skin. The pharmicst recommended starting with the Bacitracin.
Clotrimazole - this is an anti-fungal creme. It can be found in the athlete's foot section. Again, store brand is way cheaper and just as good.
I tried this concoction on Wilson last night just before I put him to bed. This morning when he woke, his bum looks about 100% better than it did last night! Amazing. I am not providing photographic proof, sorry. You will just have to take my word for it.
Posted by





No comments:
Post a Comment