Monday, February 23, 2009

He's a Poor Thing!



Today, Wilson is a poor thing.

'Poor thing' is a term that dates back to Carson's babyhood. Whenever he was sick or tired we would say 'Oh, you poor thing'. Eventually, when Carson began to talk, he would tell us he was a 'poor sing' when he was tired or sick.

Today, Geoff and I took Wilson to the hospital for surgery to have ear tubes placed in his ear drums.

We woke the boys at 6:15 a.m. and took them to Stacy's. She fed them breakfast and sent them to the bus with Gracie. As Jackson is getting out of the truck, he leans over and pats Wilson and says "I hope your surgery goes good and you feel better real fast so I can go to the walking path today." He's concerned he won't get to ride his bike today at the walking path because I said we had to wait and see how Wilson was feeling. I get a chuckle out of five year old empathy and how it all relates back to them!

Wilson is a happy morning baby, even when he gets pulled from his warm bed at 6:20 a.m. We arrived at the hospital and went to same day surgery. He had a nice visit with Candi, he would have eaten her hair if she would let him! Wilson was all about the hustle & bustle of the same day surgery unit. He loved making eyes at all the people and watching the cleaning lady push her cart back and forth.

Mike, Dr. Catten, came and talked to us about the surgery and what to expect. So did the man from anesthesia. I was so relieved to find there would be no IV, just a little gas in the oxygen mask. The tubes take less than 2 minutes per ear.

The lady that comes and takes your baby from you knows her job well. She brings a warm blanket to wrap them in and she is all business. I had rehearsed the scene in my mind over and over all week. Let me tell you, there was no long goodbye, no prolonged agony. She comes, takes him from you, wraps him in the warm blanket and leaves. She is good. She has dealt with a nervous mom or two in her day.

Wilson was back less than 30 minutes later, and unhappy! He settled down long enough to gulp down a bottle. Geoff and I laughed about the long gulping draws he was taking like he hadn't been fed in days. Once the bottle was done, we were out of there.

Home by 9 a.m. Whew, it has been a long day already. Wilson slept for 2 hours. When they said he would be cranky from the anesthesia, they weren't kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers