
We are hopeful we will have bushels of tomatoes to share this season. I have wanted to try this method of gardening for some time and this year, I finally got around to it.

My favorite thing about this project is it cost me next to nothing and nearly all the items used are recycled and/or re-purposed.
-We got the 5 gallon buckets and lids from Chad at Marions. They originally held hamburger dills. We will be bringing you tomatoes soon, thank you.
-We used chains off the old hot tub cover to hang the buckets.
-I was going to use my clothesline poles in the backyard to hang the buckets on, but decided it was too far away to get water to and too close to the daycare next door. So, I used my porch swing frame.

As you can see, the swing itself had seen better days and was ready for the dump. Any ideas on re-purposing it?
-Colette gave us the tomato plants grown from seed in her own greenhouse! Thank you! Thank you!

So far, the plants are looking great. I have the whole contraption on the east side of the house, sheltered from the wind. We may have to move it at some point, because the camp trailer is blocking it and it will get limited sunshine. But for now, it is in the best possible spot.

I will take another set of photos in a month or so and show you all our progress.
I've been wanting to try this, too! I haven't figured out where to hang them though. I can't wait to see how they turn out.
ReplyDeleteI failed to mention that Geoff drilled the holes in the buckets and helped fill them with dirt.
ReplyDelete